- For the Lamb Shank
- 2 Lamb Shanks
- 2 tsp The Kebab Club Lamb Shish Marinade (generous tsp)
- 2 celery sticks (roughly chopped)
- 2 onions (cut into eighths)
- 800ml Veg Stock
- For the Smokey Braised Cabbage
- 1/2 Savoy cabbage (shredded)
- 2 rashers of smoked streaky bacon (sliced into bite sized pieces)
- 2 tbsp of the Lamb Shank juices
- 1/2tsp All Spice
- 1/2tsp Fennel Seeds
- 1tbsp Creme Fraiche
- Make a few incisions into each of the lamb shanks. Massage the marinade into the lamb ensuring you are getting it right into the meat. Leave to marinate. Preheat the oven to 125c.
- Heat an oven proof casserole dish on a high heat and sear each lamb shank on all sides. Turn down the heat and add the onion & celery to the dish along with the stock. Ensure the stock covers most of the lamb, bring to the boil and then place in the preheated oven. The lamb needs to cook at this heat for approx 4hrs 45mins. At about half way lift from the oven and turn the lamb shanks and baste them as the liquid reduces.
- Remove the lid and turn the oven up to 220c and return to the oven for another 15mins.
- Once cooked, remove the lamb shanks for the dish and wrap in foil and set aside. Strain the stock & juices left in the dish through a sieve so that you have a rich and smooth gravy. Once strained place in a saucepan and reduce down for approx 10-15mins.
- Now, make the cabbage. Blanch the cabbage in boiling water to soften for you 3-5mins. Whilst this is blanching fry off the streaky bacon on a high heat until crispy. Add in the cabbage, spices, salt & pepper and gravy from the lamb. Cook until the stock is absorbed and then mix through the creme fraiche.
- We served this with roasted carrots (nothing fancy just roasted in the oven with some salt) and simple mashed potato. Although it would also go great with crispy roasties! Enjoy!