This lentil rice is our most favourite rice dish at The Kebab Club HQ. We tend to have it next to lamb because the slight sweetness from the onions adds a delicious contrast to our Lamb Shish Marinade and just makes for a heartwarming and indulgent dinner.
We always make a big batch so we have plenty for leftovers for lunches and serve it on its own with creamy yoghurt.
- 3 tbsp Olive Oil
- 2 Onions, finely sliced (for garnish)
- 2 Onions, finely diced
- 3/4 tsp Cumin
- 1/4 tsp Cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp Ginger
- Tiny pinch of Nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp Black pepper
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric
- 150g dried, uncooked green lentils (you can also use brown instead), check for stones, washed well, drained
- 400ml water (for lentils)
- 150g easy cook long grain rice, washed really well
- Another 400ml water (for lentils and rice)
- 1 tsp salt
- Add the oil to a pan on a medium to high heat and when hot, add thinly sliced onions. Cook for at least 15-20 mins until fully caramelised and crispy. Remove every bit of onion from pan and drain on a plate lined with kitchen paper.
- Then add the diced onion to same pan and cook for at least 15-20 mins until onions but on a lower heat until they are fully softened and caramelised. Add spices and cook for a further 3-4 mins, add the washed lentils and cook for a few more mins so that lentils are coated in oily spices and onion.
- Add the 400ml of water, the salt, bring to boil and simmer on low heat until water is fully evaporated (around 10-15 mins).
- Then add the washed rice to the pan with the lentils and stir for 3-4 mins, then add the remaining 400ml water, bring up to a boil, and simmer on a very low heat for 15-20 mins until the water fully evaporates again and little wholes start forming. Take it off the heat, cover pan with kitchen paper, put the lid on and then leave to stand for around 10mins or more.
- Fluff up the rice before serving, then top with the crispy onions. Serve with a big spoon of creamy thick yoghurt.