This traybake is an absolute time saver but also so so tasty. I had made the pickled onions a few weeks before and had them in the fridge, so you don't have to add them, however if you make a big batch then they will keep for ages in an airtight container in the fridge and are a great addition to chilli con carne, salads or a kebab. I have used extra extra course bulgur wheat (I used the Bodrum brand which I got from my local international supermarket), I chose this so it had some bite to it as the finer bulgur or couscous could easily turn to mush, you could maybe use giant couscous as an alternative. I heat the oven high initially to brown of the chicken and veg so you get a nice charred flavour and then lower it after adding the bulgur.
- 4 chicken thighs
- 2tsp The Kebab Club Chicken Shish Marinade
- 1 Red Bell Pepper, sliced into 4cm pieces
- 1 Red Onion cut into 8th
- 1tsp Olive Oil
- 80g Extra Extra Course Bulgur Wheat
- 500ml Chicken Stock
- 1tbsp Tatli Pepper Paste
- 1tbsp Sweety Drop Peppers
- 1 tbsp Pickled Red Onions (separate recipe underneath)
- 10g basil, finely sliced
- 1tsp Pomegranate Mollasses
- Preheat the oven to 220c. Marinate the chicken thighs in the Chicken Shish Marinade, you can leave it overnight to develop the flavour if you prefer. Place the chicken thighs into the oven dish and scatter around the peppers and onions then drizzle the olive oil over the onions and peppers. Place it in the oven and bake for 15mins until the chicken has browned and the veg is slightly charred.
- Meanwhile mix the pepper paste into the chicken stock.
- After 15mins turn the oven down to 170c. Scatter the bulgur wheat around the chicken thighs and then pour the stock around as well. Put back in the oven and cook for a further 15-20mins. Everyone's oven is slightly different so you made need to add a little more water if it dries out or even the bulgur doesn't soften. It should have a bounce and bite but not be hard.
- Once cooked, lift out of the oven and cover with foil and leave to rest for 10mins (if you want to make it in advance then just cover for longer and preheat later. It is also a great recipe for batch cooking!).
- Dish up and then top with the pickled red onions, sweety drop peppers, basil and then drizzle with the pomegranate molasses.
Pickled Red Onions (this will make a batch to go in the fridge)
- 4 Red Onions, finely sliced
- 200ml Cider Vinegar
- 200ml Water
- 70g Soft brown sugar
- 1tbsp Salt
Heat the vinegar, water, sugar and salt in a pan until the sugar and salt has dissolved, let it cool and then pour it over the onions. Leave it to come down to room temperature and then store in the fridge in an air tight container.