Makes 1 flatbread (approx 8 slices)
This flatbread recipe is super easy to make. If you are short on time then just buy a plain shop bought flatbread and add the toppings and you'll have the most delicious dinner for the whole family in 20mins!
The Turkish Chilli Sauce base is not too hot as the sweetness of the onions and tomatoes and the cooking process counter the spiciness. However, if you don't like heat at all then replace the Turkish Chilli Sauce based with chopped tomatoes and if you like more heat then use our Hot Turkish Chilli Sauce.
For the flatbread:
- 150g strong bread flour
- 60ml lukewarm water
- 30ml lukewarm milk
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 sachet instant dry yeast (3.5g)
For the toppings:
- 1 Chicken Breast, diced into small bitesize pieces
- 1tsp Chicken Shish Marinade
- 1 1/2 tbsp Turkish Chilli Sauce
- 40g Halloumi, cubed
- 1 Red Onion, cut into 8ths. (Quarter the onion and then cut the quarters in half horizontally.)
- 1tsp Olive Oil
- 1tbsp Pomegranate Mollasses
- 1tsp Sumac
- 1 Tomato, sliced
- 1 small handful of Parsley, chopped
- Put the water and milk in a jug, stir in the salt and sugar to dissolve, then add the yeast. Leave for 5-10 mins until it bubbles.
- Sift the flour into a large bowl and create a well in the centre. Stir the oil into in the liquid mixture and pour it all into the well in the bowl and bring everything together with your hands. Place on a surface lightly dusted with flour and knead for a 8-10 mins until nice and smooth. Then place in an large bowl (greased with a little olive oil), cover the bowl with cling film and put somewhere warm to prove for an hour.
- Meanwhile, massage in the Chicken Shish Marinade into the chicken breast and set aside and prepare the onions. Pour the Olive Oil into a pan and put on a high heat, then add the onions. Usually we would cook these on a BBQ so in order to get that charred effect we need to make sure the pieces aren't too small and they cook quickly. Once the edges are charred and the onions are soft (about 5-8mins) put them into a bowl. Pour over the pomegranate molasses and sumac and mix. Set aside until ready to use. Use the same frying pan to cook the chicken. Place the chicken in the pan and cook for 5-10mins. Make sure the chicken is just cooked through but do not over cook, as it will finish in the oven and if cooked for too long it will become dry. Once cooked, place in a bowl until ready to use.
- After an hour, take the dough out of the bowl and knock it back (give it a firm tap to knock some of the air out). Then roll it into a smooth ball and leave to prove for another 25mins. At this point turn your oven to heat up to 220c.
- After 25mins roll your dough out into an oval approx 30cm x 20cm and place on a baking tray (we usually place it on some baking paper to make it easier to move).
- Now you can assemble your flatbreads. Using the back of a tablespoon, spread the chilli sauce over the flatbread (leave about 1-2cm round the edge), then add the sliced tomato, halloumi, chicken & sticky onions. Evenly distribute them over the flatbread. Place in the middle/bottom of a preheated oven and cook for 10mins. You can check it by slightly lifting the flatbread to see if the underneath is nice and golden brown.
- Finish by sprinkling over the parsley and drizzling with more Turkish Chilli Sauce or Garlic Sauce to your taste.