Serves 2 hungry people or 3 smaller eaters
This is a flavour packed vegetarian dinner served with a salad or as a warming lunch now the weather is changing. Make sure you have some crusty bread to hand to mop up the juices! To be truthful I use quite a lot of cheese for 2 people but if you're cheese lovers like us then you can't go wrong. If you want it a bit leaner then don't do the middle layers of mozzarella.
- 2 Aubergines, sliced into 2cm lengths
- 2 Red Peppers (we use sweet pointed peppers but you can use bell as well), sliced into 2.5in slices
- 3tsp Dried Oregano
- 2tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 heaped tablespoon of The Kebab Club Chilli Sauce
- 2 Garlic Cloves
- 1x 400ml Chopped Tomatoes
- 2 Mozzarella Balls, sliced into about 8-10 slices.
- 30g Parmigiana
- 10 Basil Leaves, chopped
- Seasoning to taste
- Heat your grill while you prepare the veg.
- Once you have sliced your aubergine and peppers, place them on a baking tray (I put foil/baking paper on the bottom to save sticking) drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with dried oregano & some salt. Place under the grill for about 5-10mins until they become golden, flip them over and do the same on the other side. You will probably need to do a couple of batches so make sure you divide the oil and oregano out between the batches.
- While the aubergine and peppers are grilling, you can prepare the tomato sauce. Put the chilli sauce in a small saucepan, add the garlic and stir for a minute until warmed through. Then add the chopped tomatoes and salt & pepper. Stir and leave to reduce and thicken for 10mins on a medium heat (lightly simmering). Turn off the heat and stir in 3/4 of the chopped basil.
- Once the vegetables are cooked turn your oven back onto fan and set at 200c. You can now begin layering in your dish. You can use a roasting tin or ceramic dish about 20cm long. Put a small amount of tomato sauce on the bottom of the dish, then do your first layer of veg until the bottom is covered. Then add 1/3 of the sauce and spread across the veg, then add 1/3 of the mozzarella. Repeat this 2 more times so you have 3 layers of veg, sauce & mozzarella.
- Sprinkle over the remaining basil and grate over the parmigiana. Place in the oven and cook for about 20mins until the sauce is bubbling and the parmigiana has turned golden. Serve with a salad and crusty bread and ENJOY!