Makes 6 Lahmacun
I tried a few different variations of this dough to get it right. I used different flours, semolina, yoghurt, oil, water and milk but after all of the experimenting, this recipe has come out the best with a crispy but rollable base (which is key!). The key to eating Lahmacun is to load it up with salad, a drizzle of chilli sauce and a squeeze of lemon and the roll!
For the dough
- 240g Strong White Bread Flour (plus extra for dusting)
- 1 packet fast action yeast
- 60g Greek yoghurt
- 1/2tsp Salt
- 1tsp Sugar
- 120ml Warm Water
For the topping
- 300g Lamb
- 1 tbsp The Kebab Club Lamb Marinade
- 2 Tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 1 Onion, roughly chopped
- 1tbsp Olive Oil
- Handful Parsley
- 2 Garlic cloves
The Kebab Club Turkish Chilli Sauce
- Start by making the dough. Put the water, sugar & yeast into the warm water and leave for a few mins until you see small bubbles, then stir in the yoghurt.
- Put the flour & salt into a large bowl. Slowly add the water/yeast mixture, I usually add it in 3rds. Mix with your hands until everything holds together. Dust a clean surface with some flour (not too much, you can always add but can’t take away) and knead the dough for around 10mins. It should be nice and smooth.
- Transfer to a large clean bowl, cover with cling film and leave to rise in a warm place for 1hr.
- Meanwhile, prepare the topping. Blend the onion in a food processor and then leave to drain out the excess water. Meanwhile blend the tomatoes, parsley & garlic. This will look quite watery but it is ok as you need the topping to be wet.
- In a large bowl mix the lamb, marinade, tomato mixture, onions, seasoning and olive oil until it is all evenly distributed.
- Heat your oven to 250c and place a baking tray in it to get hot.
- Once the dough has doubled in size, knock it back and divide it into 6. Dust a clean surface and roll out the dough, you need to roll it out thinly so you get a nice crispy base. You should almost be able to see your worktop through the dough.
- Spread 1/6 of the lamb mixture evenly across the base. If you want extra crispy edges you can brush some olive oil around the edges but that is your choice! Transfer to the hot baking tray and place in the oven for round 5-6 mins. Repeat for the other 5.
- To serve, place some salad on the Lahmacun, along with some of The Kebab Club Chilli Sauce and a squeeze of lemon, roll and enjoy!