This flatbread recipe is super easy to make. If you are short on time then just buy a plain shop bought flatbread and add the toppings and you'll have the most delicious dinner for the whole family in 20mins!
This is a little hotter than our other flatbread recipe with the addition of extra Turkish Chilli Sauce to drizzle and the pickled baby chillies. The acidity from the pickles but coolness from the feta and Turkish Garlic sauce as well as the warmth of the Chicken Shish is an absolute winner! You can find the recipe for the pickled red onions below.
For the flatbread:
- 150g strong bread flour
- 60ml lukewarm water
- 30ml lukewarm milk
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 sachet instant dry yeast (3.5g)
For the toppings:
- 1 Chicken Breast, diced into small bitesize pieces
- 1tsp Chicken Shish Marinade
- 2 tbsp Turkish Chilli Sauce
- 40g Feta Cheese, crumbled
- 1 tbsp Pickled Red Onions
- 5 Baby Pickled Chillies (we use the Istanbul brand)
- 1tbsp Turkish Garlic Sauce
- Put the water and milk in a jug, stir in the salt and sugar to dissolve, then add the yeast. Leave for 5-10 mins until it bubbles.
- Sift the flour into a large bowl and create a well in the centre. Stir the oil into in the liquid mixture and pour it all into the well in the bowl and bring everything together with your hands. Place on a surface lightly dusted with flour and knead for a 8-10 mins until nice and smooth. Then place in an large bowl (greased with a little olive oil), cover the bowl with cling film and put somewhere warm to prove for an hour.
- Meanwhile, massage in the Chicken Shish Marinade into the chicken breast and set aside and prepare the onions. Heat a frying pan over a medium heat. Place the chicken in the pan and cook for 5-10mins. Make sure the chicken is just cooked through but do not over cook, as it will finish in the oven and if cooked for too long it will become dry. Once cooked, place in a bowl until ready to use.
- After an hour, take the dough out of the bowl and knock it back (give it a firm tap to knock some of the air out). Then roll it into a smooth ball and leave to prove for another 25mins. At this point turn your oven to heat up to 220c.
- After 25mins roll your dough out into an oval approx 30cm x 20cm and place on a baking tray (we usually place it on some baking paper to make it easier to move).
- Now you can assemble your flatbreads. Using the back of a tablespoon, spread the chilli sauce over the flatbread (leave about 1-2cm round the edge), then add the chicken & feta. Evenly distribute them over the flatbread. Place in the middle/bottom of a preheated oven and cook for 10mins. You can check it by slightly lifting the flatbread to see if the underneath is nice and golden brown. Finish by placing the pickled baby chillies and red onions and drizzle with more Turkish Chilli Sauce and Garlic Sauce to your taste.
Pickled Red Onions (this will make a batch to go in the fridge)
- 4 Red Onions, finely sliced
- 200ml Cider Vinegar
- 200ml Water
- 70g Soft brown sugar
- 1tbsp Salt
Heat the vinegar, water, sugar and salt in a pan until the sugar and salt has dissolved, let it cool and then pour it over the onions. Leave it to come down to room temperature and then store in the fridge in an air tight container.