Recipe 3 of our November Seasonal Produce Series. Our seasonal product for this recipe is Red Cabbage. If you are an halloumi lover then you will LOVE this recipe, or even if you're just looking to cut down on your meat. The contrasting textures of the crispy but squeaky halloumi with fluffy Turkish rice and a crunch salad is immense.
For the Halloumi
- 225g Halloumi, make sure you get a good quality halloumi because it really does make all the difference when it comes to texture.
- 2tsp The Kebab Club Chicken Shish Marinade
- 1tsp Olive Oil
For the Salad
- 1/4 Red Cabbage, Grated
- 1 Large Tomato, chopped
- 1/4 Cucumber, chopped
- 1 Small Onion, finely sliced
- 20g Parsley, finely chopped
- 1tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1tsp Pomegranate Mollasses
- 1/2tsp Salt
For the Turkish Rice
- 2tbsp Vermicelli, in small pieces
- 1tbsp Olive Oil
- 160g Baldo Rice
- 1tsp Salt
- 200ml Water or Veg Stock
- 1tbsp Creamy strained Yoghurt
- 1tbsp The Kebab Club Turkish Chilli Sauce
- Dice up the halloumi into inch (2.5cm) cubes. Then place in a bowl and marinate in the Chicken Shish Marinade, giving it a good massage in and set aside.
- Prepare the rice by adding the 1tbsp Olive Oil to a saucepan and heating over a medium heat. Then add the vermicelli and fry off until the vermicelli turns golden brown and crispy. Add the Baldo rice (baldo rice has shorter, fatter grains than basmati rice and so creates a creamier consistency when cooked because it is more starchy) and fry over for 30secs whilst mixing with the vermicelli. Add the salt and then the water or stock (the stock will give it a richer flavour but you can use water instead). Cover the saucepan with a lid and bring down to a simmer and cook for around 10mins. When all the water has been absorbed and you start to notice holes forming in the rice then it is done. Remove from the heat and remove the lid and cover with a tea towel with the lid on top. Leave for 15mins while you prepare the salad and halloumi.
- Add all of the salad ingredients to a large bowl and pour over the vinegar, oil, molasses and salad. Give it a good mix and set aside.
- Add the 1tsp of Olive Oil to a frying pan and bring to a medium/high heat. Add the Halloumi and fry for around 3mins on each side, do not be tempted to keep moving the halloumi otherwise it will not get a nice even crisp. Remove for the heat and get ready to serve.
- Remove the tea towel from the rice and use a fork to run through the rice separating the grains. Add a big spoon of rice to a plate, followed by the crispy halloumi, and big helping of salad and drizzle with The Kebab Club Turkish Chilli Sauce and add a big dollop of creamy yoghurt next to the rice. Enjoy!!
If you have an amazing recipe using our products and want it to be featured on our website then please email us your recipe and pictures to email@example.com or tag us on instagram or Facebook.